Thursday, December 01, 2005

Toasting to Dad's Health


Last day in Perugia. I had ‘’farewell lunch’’ at Shanghai Chinese Restaurant on Corso Garibaldi with Jodi, Halina, Mirlan and Kayoko. They waited for me to arrive at our meeting point - Palazzo Gallenga – before walking to the restaurant nearby. I was late – thanks to my obsession with emailing at the internet café.

When we reached the restaurant, Halina wanted to order wine - her treat, she said. So we toasted – to friendship, and especially to my dad’s health.

They tried to cheer me up. Halina saw my sad face and tried to mother me. We bantered. We said that we should meet again next year, perhaps in this very same restaurant. Halina wants a grandchild badly and wishes that when we meet she would be able to bring her grandchild along – her daughter who is married is a career woman not keen on having kids. I said I would meet Halina in Spoleto next summer – for the festival she is organising. Jodi explained why she likes Europe and wants to live in Europe instead of in Australia – the Australians ‘’do not know anything other than about themselves’’, according to her.

We all seem to have similar ‘’complaints’’ about our own countries. This trip to Italy is more than language learning for me. It is a lesson in kindness and friendship, and an opportunity to learn from one another – about Australia, Poland, Japan, Khirgistan, even the U.S. I had thought that I knew Japan well enough, but have learnt so much from Kayoko about the values and thoughts of the Japanese. I had thought that the Polish would not know Singapore. But Halina has a mental image – she ‘’knows’’ Singapore as a country with quality products, and clothing made in Singapore are highly regarded there! And I do not know much about Poland or Khirgistan… there are still so many countries I have not visited nor learnt about.

We talked and talked. We spent hours at the restaurant, and I wondered when they would chase us out. We finally left to go our separate ways. Jodi cried. We choked back tears. We passed by Palazzo Gallenga one last time, and an elderly lady asked if we needed a room – she could rent one to students like us. ‘’Oh no – today’s our last day here in fact,’’ Jodi said.

I walked under the Arco Etrusco one last time. I wanted to go to my favourite pastry shop one last time, and to find out the actual name of the shop. I just could not figure out the cursive writing on the signage! But I forgot – it is Italy and lunch hour – all shops, except restaurants, are closed!

I walked to the city centre, hoping to snap more shots in the dark gloomy sky for remembrance. I decided to go to the Perugina shop to get more Baci chocolates for friends back home. When I was ready to pay with my credit card, the old lady told me the terminal was not functioning due to ‘’tech problems’’ and told me to wait for about 10 minutes. I returned, and it was still not working. I wanted to leave but she offered to make a call but before long a young lady rushed in – it turned out that she was the only one in the shop who knew how to use the terminal – gosh!

I went home, reminding myself I needed to start packing… I met Adele, who gave me a big hug as she left the house.

I decided to make time to chat with Franca before I got down to packing. I told her about the lunch we had, the dinner I would be having with Kumi, and that she still has not called to arrange time and place to meet. ‘’Don’t worry, eat with me if she can’t have dinner with you, I’ve already prepared…’’ she said, ever so generously.

I started packing, frantically. I wondered how to squeeze in all that shopping and heavy bulky books. Franca came in to show me the hand-made tagliatelle, together with a sausage that she had kept aside for my dinner (I had drooled over the tagliatelle when she was making them but still have not tried them!). ‘’Oh thank you so much – but I have spoken with Kumi and we are going out,’’ I said. ‘’Nevermind… tomorrow…’’ Franca replied, and left the room with the pot of tagliatelle.

I had asked Kayoko to join us for dinner at La Lumera. I introduced her to Kumi. Kayoko gave me a card and a packet of Japanese ‘’body warmer’’ (she had given one to me earlier and it really helped to keep me warm), and left after the first course, as she still had not started to pack. We hugged and kissed and bade a warm farewell. We promised to meet either in Japan or in Singapore.

After dinner with Kumi, I walked back, and wanted to spend my last few hours with Franca. I took out my laptop and sat with her as I downloaded the pictures I had just taken at the restaurant.

She kept asking about calling a taxi the next morning, and whether I should be taking the bus or the train to Rome. ‘’Tomorrow at this time you will be gone and I’ll be here alone,’’ she said, quietly. I wished I could thank her enough for allowing me to stay two extra nights – on 31st Oct and 1st Dec! (The rental paid is for a month - 1 to 30 Nov)

We normally sang out our ‘’buona notte’’ (good night) as we left for bed but this time, it was ‘’good bye’’. She even came into my room and said, ‘’un bacione’’ as she gave me a big goodbye kiss. She again reminded me not to forget anything, while I told her I was going to leave behind my clothes detergent and shower cream for her and she thanked me profusely.

I went back to packing, re-packing, and finally finished packing. I set my alarm on my mobile, and tried to get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home